Daniel Kornfeld provides advice to clients on a broad range of employee benefits and labor law issues.
Daniel represents labor organizations in collective bargaining negotiations, arbitrations, and proceedings before administrative agencies as well as federal and state courts.
In connection with the representation of large and small multiemployer plans, Daniel advises on plan design, funding, reporting, disclosure, and PBGC related matters, including withdrawal liability. His practice also includes litigating fiduciary and benefit related issues.
Daniel’s wife is a professor at Syracuse College of Law, and they are the proud parents of two daughters.
- Local Union No. 97, I.B.E.W. v. NRG Energy, Inc., 46 E.B.C. (BNA) 2538 (N.D.N.Y. May 8, 2009), enforced an arbitration award related to pension benefits despite bankruptcy proceedings commenced while the grievance was pending.
- In re Williams Arbitration Award, Index No. 2008-15400 (Monroe County Sup. Ct. 2009), enforcing in part, arbitration award reinstating grievant despite allegations of threats to co-workers.
- Empire State Weeklies, Inc., 354 N.L.R.B. No. 91 (October 5, 2009), remedied the unlawful termination of a press operator during an organizing campaign.
- Harris v. Finch, Pruyn & Co., 44 E.B.C. (BNA) 2206 (N.D.N.Y. August 26, 2008), described the relief available to strikers when the employer misrepresented benefits available from a defined contribution 401(k) plan.
- I.B.E.W. Local No. 241 Pen. Plan v. First Allmerica Finan. Life Insur. Co., 354 F. Supp. 2d 203 (N.D.N.Y. 2005), held that actuaries could be liable for failing to follow pension plan terms in calculating benefits.
- Panama Canal Commission and Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, District No. 1, 56 F.L.R.A. No. 67 (June 22, 2000), enforced an arbitration award concerning selection and appraisal procedures.
- Author, Arbitration under ERISA, Georgetown University Law School, Master of Law’s Thesis (2001)
- Author, De-Unionization’s Effect on Income Inequality in 1980s, Cornell University’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Senior Honor’s Thesis (1995)
American Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, Onondaga County Bar Association, A.F.L.-C.I.O. Lawyer’s Coordinating Committee