We advise international and local unions, union-affiliated associations and groups, executive boards, individual officers and union trustees on the full range of matters that implicate governance regulation and best practice.
Our lawyers have broad and deep experience guiding clients through regulation and best practices regarding constitutions and by-laws, annual reporting and disclosure, recordkeeping, financial safeguards including the protection of union fund and assets, the administration of trusteeships by labor organizations, and the election of officers of labor organizations. We also assist unions with mergers and, when it arises, litigation between parent unions and subordinate bodies.
- counsel to international union on LM-2 filings, lobbying reports, overseeing the sale of assets of defunct local union, investigating jurisdictional disputes, assisting newly elected local officials transition into responsibilities of office and reviewing the lawfulness of proposed constitutional amendments and drafting proposed amendments;
- counsel to local union in connection with modifications to the union’s industry advancement program to comply with the Employee Benefit Security Administration opinion letters; revisions to the union’s remembrance fund program to comply with Labor Department regulations; and negotiations with insurance companies to facilitate a life insurance program for union members;
- counsel to individual union officers in connection with an investigation of the union by the U.S. Department of Justice;
- counsel to local union in processing and defending internal charges by and against members, and litigation fines imposed against members for violating consitution and by-laws provisions;
- counsel to local union in amending the local’s constitution to modify benefits for surviving spouse of union member; and
- counsel to a local union in a proceeding before the NLRB where the employer opposed the merger of the local union.